Monday, August 18, 2008

Update on Day 4

As I get ready to write this tonight I hear the lyrics - I'm walking yes sir-re I'm a walking. Matt had another wonderful day. I am just so excited over his progress every day and his determination to do more than he did the day before. We were able to walk the halls at least three times today - which might not seem like much but when your belly has a eight or so inch incision in it and you've been in bed 3 days its a big accomplishment. He also spent a lot of time today up sitting in his chair. The only bad part of the day is when they switched his pain med to vicodin.... Lets just say we don't have to worry about Matt becoming an addict. He did not like the far out feeling that it gave him, so about 7 hours later when he wanted more pain meds they switched him to a darveset (sp?) - that went a little better but it put him right to sleep. I was glad though because he needed some rest. He doesn't sleep much at night because hello its not a Holiday Inn Express. He said that they seem to come in and need something from him every hour - so its not really all that restfull, so yep I was glad he got that hour nap before dinner time. He got to have "clear" liquids (jello, broth and popsicles) all day today for three meals and tomorrow they will switch him to all liquids (like cream of wheat, tomoto and cream soups, puddings and ice creams) and then most likely the next day on to real foods.

He is doing so well and we are so thankful for all the continued prayers.

7 comments:

Laurie KIng said...

Hey Matt, I am not very happy to hear about this... We ARE NOT old enough for this kind of thing! Next thing you know, you'll be breaking a hip!

I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but it seems like you are handling it like the rock star that you always have been. I am praying for you everyday... especially for your speedy release from FCHC. It's not exactly the Hilton of the hospital scene! :-)

Love, Laurie

Jim and Julie said...

Hi, we are glad you are doing so good. You will be up and running around before you know it. We only have good thoughts because that is the only kind to have. God is with you. We are praying for your health and God to give Julie the strength and peace to deal with all that is going on. We love you!

Doug Yoder said...

It's Darvocet, and it's pretty good stuff. It's what they gave Jen after she gave birth, but I'm sure this is more painful (wink, wink). So glad to hear Matt is on the road back to recovery. If you need somebody to exercise your hog, I'm your man. And no, I don't mean your fair pig. I pray God continues to heal you.

The Burkholders said...

Know what you mean about nights at the hospital. I would not look forward to night time. Some nights the nurses knew it too!:)

Hang in there. We are praying for you!

Unknown said...

Matt and Julie,
Please know there are soooo many praying for you both and we are believing with you for God's best. He is using this time to drive you both deeper into His love and we pray you can feel His arms wrapped around you as He carries you on this journey. Your testimony is a blessing to all of us.
Love to you both - jane and del

DDulin1990 said...

Julie,
Thank you for keeping this updated. You need your rest, too. We are all glad to hear Matt is getting better each and everyday. God Bless to you both.
The Dulins

Anonymous said...

My name is Robert Fraser and i would like to show you my personal experience with Vicodin.

I am 27 years old. Have been on Vicodin for 1 day now. Found a few pills. I'm currently not an addict though I have taken vicodin in the past and I am certainly playing with the devil because I do like the feeling it gives me. Biggest problem, besides the addiction, is Insomnia. Tossed and turned for two hours before I decided to research it.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
Constipation and insomnia.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Robert Fraser

Vicodin Prescription Medication